Mar 5, 2012

A Busy Sunday Morning

The Karthas were very busy this Sunday morning:


A hundred and eighteen coconuts dehusked. Hats off to the unknown inventor of the easy coconut dehusker... he has made this job infinitely less dangerous to our lives and limbs!


A lot of vigorous cracking later...some whole copras and a lot of halves were basking in the sun. While I broke them open, I remembered one of the store clerks in an HEB store in Houston questioning me. He had just scanned 5 individually shrink-wrapped coconuts for me when his curiosity got the better of him and he asked, "Would you mind telling me how you manage to open one of these?" "I use the blunt edge of a cleaver," was my answer. "You just knock the coconut with it and get two exact halves?" "With a little practice and a lot of luck!"

After all these years of practice, I still consider myself lucky if I can get two perfect halves!!!

All of us were pretty tired out after the unusual exercise. The youngest member of the family helped by keeping out of mischief and the hot sun in the company of his grandparents. But I guess he was the most tired of us all ...


Here he is stretched out with his dinner on his chest while we were watching a movie. Ah well, I guess refraining from mischief is rather tiring too! Not long after, we went his way too, though not on the living room floor :-)

1 comment:

  1. awww... so cute.. !! I have a couple of pics of our darling asleep half way through a drink or meal... they look especially cute like this..:)

    I never crack a coconut myself till now... absolutely petrified of 'vakkathis'. Just get them cracked open ..!! Brave YOU..and it really takes talent to break it in equal halves...

    ReplyDelete

3 Movie Reviews in 1: Nanpakal..., Romancham, and Pranaya Vilasam

1. Nanpakal Nerathu Mayakkam (Siesta) Lijo Jose Pellissery's movies are an acquired taste. Each movie is different and probably appeal ...